Tuhin Virmani, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Director, Movement Disorders Program
Dr. Virmani completed his medical training at UT Southwestern Medical School in Dallas where he was in the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) receiving a combined M.D/Ph.D degree. His research in basic neuroscience explored the physiologic mechanisms by which neurons in the brain communicate with one other using chemical neurotransmitters at the synapse. He then went on to pursue a residency in Neurology at Washington University in St. Louis where he developed an interest in Movement Disorders. This lead to a two year combined clinical-research fellowship in Movement Disorders under the guidance of Dr. Stanley Fahn and other members of the Center for Parkinson Disease and other Movement Disorders at Columbia University Medical Center in New York.
While at Columbia University, Dr. Virmani became interested in the principles underlying the phenomenon of freezing of gait in Parkinson disease and he undertook a clinicopathologic study under the mentorship of Dr. Fahn and Dr. Jean-Paul Vonsattel (Department of Pathology). He also worked with Dr. Fahn to start a clinical trial using a novel motor-neuronotrophic factor for potential neuroprotection in Parkinson disease. This trial is currently underway.
In addition to his clinical duties as the Director of the Movement Disorders program at UAMS, Dr. Virmani plans to continue to develop his research interests with the establishment of a gait lab and eventual participation in national clinical research trials.
Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Neurology) 2011-2021
- Virmani, T., Greene, P., Pearson, T. (2013) Delayed onset of progressive chorea after acute basal ganglia injury. Mov. Disord. 28(5):585-7
- Virmani, T., Louis, E.D., Waters, C., Pullman, S.L. (2012) Familial orthostatic tremor: an additional report in siblings. Neurology 79(3):288-9
- Virmani, T., Agarwal, A., Klawiter, E.C. (2011) Clinical reasoning: A young adult presents with focal weakness and hemorrhagic brain lesions. Neurology 76(22), e106-9
- Ertunc, M., Sara, Y., Chung, C., Atasoy, D., Virmani, T., Kavalali, E.T. (2007) Fast synaptic vesicle reuse slows the rate of synaptic depression in the CA1 region of hippocampus. J. Neurosci. 27(2), 341-54
- Bloustine, J., Virmani, T., Thurston, G. M., and Fraden, S. (2006) Light scattering and phase behavior of lysozyme-poly(ethylene glycol) mixtures, Phys Rev Lett. 96(8):087803
- Virmani, T*., Atasoy, D.*, Kavalali, E.T. (2006) Synaptic vesicle recycling adapts to chronic changes in activity. J. Neurosci. 26(8), 2197-206
- Virmani, T., Ertunc, M., Sara, Y., Mozhayeva, M., Kavalali ET. (2005) Phorbol esters target the activity-dependent recycling pool and spare spontaneous vesicle recycling. J. Neurosci. 25(47), 10922-9
- Virmani, T., Gupta, P., Liu, X., Kavalali, E. T., Hofmann, S.L. (2005) Progressively reduced synaptic vesicle pool size in cultured neurons derived from neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis-1 knockout mice. Neurobiol Dis. 20:10922-9
- Luikart, B., Nef, S., Virmani, T., Lu, Y., Kavalali, E. T., Parada. L. F. (2005) TrkB Has a Cell Autonomous Role in the Establishment of Hippocampal Schaffer Collateral Synapses. J. Neurosci. 25(15), 3774-86
- Sara, Y.*, Virmani, T.*, Deák F., Liu, X., Kavalali, E. T. (2005) An isolated pool of vesicles recycles at rest and drives spontaneous neurotransmission. Neuron 45, 563-73.
- Virmani, T., Han, W., Liu, X., Sudhof, T. C., and Kavalali, E. T. (2003). Synaptotagmin 7 splice variants differentially regulate synaptic vesicle recycling. Embo J 22, 5347-57.
- equal contribution
- Virmani, T. and Kavalali, E.T. (2005) Synaptic Vesicle Recycling As A Substrate For Neural Plasticity. In Stanton, P.K., Bramham, C., and Scharfman, H.E. (Eds.), Synaptic Plasticity and Transsynaptic Signaling. Springer Science + Business Media. (2005)
Poster and Platform Presentations:
- Virmani, T., Greene, P., Protein interaction with levodopa: characteristics of Parkinson disease patients exhibiting this phenomena (2013) MDS 17th International Congress of Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders (Poster)
- Virmani, T., Vonsattel, JP., Fahn, S., Clinical characteristics of Parkinson Disease Patients with Freezing of Gait (2013) American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting 2013 (Poster)
- Virmani, T., Pearson, T., Movement Disorders in Children with Acute Bilateral Lesions of the Basal Ganglia (2012) MDS 16th International Congress of Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders (Poster)
- Virmani, T., Louis, E.D., Waters, C., Pullman, S.L. (2012) Orthostatic tremor in two siblings. American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting 2012 (Poster)
- Virmani, T., Pearson, T., Movement Disorders in Children with Acute Bilateral Lesions of the Basal Ganglia (2012) American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting 2012 (Poster)
- Virmani, T., Sara, Y., Kavalali, E. T. (2004). The Properties Of Spontaneous Synaptic Vesicle Recycling In Hippocampal Synapses. Channels, Receptors and Synapses, Cold Spring Harbor. (Platform)
- Virmani, T., Liu, X., Han, W., Sudhof, T. C., and Kavalali, E. T. (2002). Routing Of Synaptic Vesicles To Distinct Recycling Pathways By Synaptotagmin 7 Isoforms. Program No. 748.14. Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting (Poster)